Lake View – First Mallacoota Township
Many people are surprised to learn that Mallacoota’s beginnings were actually at ‘Lake View’ on the eastern shores of Mallacoota Inlet.
In 1882 John Augustus Dorron selected land and built a home and hotel buildings from bush timber and raised a large family. The farm flourished in the ‘Spotted Dog’ gold mining days and tourists and local visitors came by horse or boat and professional fishermen and trading ketches visited. Dorron’s Lakeview Hotel became the social and commercial hub of the area and incorporated a post office. Tourism, arguably Mallacoota’s principal industry, grew from these activities.
Tragically, John Dorron was drowned during a boating accident in 1913 and was buried at the cemetery near his home, now the Pioneer Cemetery. The first road, trafficable by motor cars, was made from Gipsy Point to Mallacoota West, (as the current township site was formerly known), in 1921. The hotel licence was transferred to Mallacoota Hotel in 1925, with ‘Lake View’ continuing as a guest house until Mrs Dorron’s death in 1927.
‘Lake View’ now has a Victorian Heritage Inventory listing but sadly little historical evidence remains at the site.
Dorron’s “Lake View Hotel” - Mallacoota East
They farmed extensively with vegetables, orchards and poultry which were served to guests along with a plentiful supply of fresh fish.
The hotel flourished in the Spotted Dog gold mining days. Tourists and local visitors came by horse or boat and professional fishermen and trading ketches visited.